It is an amazingly awesome experience when you receive your tooth crown in a single day. While traditional porcelain crowns take two or three visits over the course of several weeks to place, your same day crown can be designed, milled, and placed in few hours.
This has been made possible with the help of latest digital dentistry done by 3D scanning of your tooth immediately sent across to the designated lab where it is immediately fabricated and finished. Exact replica as required for your particular tooth is designed digitally via CAD-CAM.
The Procedure -
- Just like a regular dental crown procedure, a dentist will start by numbing and prepping your tooth. This involves removing any damaged tooth structure and also reducing it in size to create room for the new crown.
- Then impressions are taken. But with a same-day crown, your teeth will be digitally scanned instead of having uncomfortable putty put in your mouth.
- The digital impressions are then loaded into the computer, which will design your crown to fit perfectly.
- Next, the CAD-CAM Milling machine will create your crown out of strong, durable ceramic that’s been matched to the color of your existing smile.
- Finally, your new crown will be cemented into place.
The Advantages of Same-Day Crowns –
- Ceramic is not only strong but also looks great as well, so you won’t have to worry about any metal showing when you smile or laugh.
- With a traditional procedure, you would normally have to wear a temporary crown for 1-2 weeks while the lab makes the permanent restoration. Unfortunately, temporaries can easily break or fall off, which then requires yet another visit to repair. With a same-day crown, you can completely avoid this risk.
- Digital impressions are not only more precise, but much more comfortable and less messy, too.
- In some cases, numbing is required at the second visit before the permanent crown is cemented into place. With CEREC, one appointment means just one injection.
- Zirconia crowns have the same long-term success rate as traditional and will last many years with basic care.
CAD-CAM Zirconia crown technology has changed dental crowns for the better. And with all the advantages it offers, it’s no surprise that it’s so popular with patients and dentists alike!
All CAD-CAM crowns come with warranties starting from 5 years to 15 years.
Dr Anuranjan Kakar
Chief Clinical Operations,